The leap from high school to college is quite difficult andsometimes stressful enough for many students. It is a completelynew life both socially and academically. Everything is different– location, campus, life in a dorm, classrooms and student cafes.Actually, all of this stuff is fun and students easily get usedto the new environment while it cannot be said about the learningprocess. You are going to experience a different schedule system,serious subjects, a new grading system, strict professors, heapsof assignments and projects and lots of other challenging things.
Longed-for freedom is so luminous that school-leavers may getblinded for the first time forgetting that being free is alsoassociated with responsibility, self-discipline and adultproblems. If high school is more like your sweet home whereteachers are making your troubles their own, college teachers donot treat you like a child. At college students are left forthemselves in many things from preparing for the seminars andexams to choosing a partner for a joint project. And it isnatural as adult life means adult duties.
The most challenging issue for many freshies is numerous writingtasks. Students get very much bewildered with why their highschool papers were A-graded while the essays for college aretomahawked. For this reason, some first-year students starthating college essay writing from the first days of studies.However, it is not an option for those who want better scores nomatter what. So that you could adjust to a new system of writingit is high time to read this high school vs college essayguideline.
We have gathered best tips for those students who have no wish tobe caught unaware of college writing peculiarities. When enteringa college every student must hunt down the differences betweenhigh school and college essays. The differences are huge, solet’s get started.
A thesis in academic writing
Both high school and college essays should have a thesisstatement. To write a thesis for high school paper is quite easy.If the assignment says to express your view on euthanasia you canwrite “In my opinion, euthanasia is...”, a college paper expectsyou to write a catching, meaningful thesis which you will answerin the body paragraphs.
The thesis for a college essay should do two things: raise theproblem and hook the audience. Boring, weak statements are notwelcomed by professors so you are to do your best so that yourthesis will sound appealing and clear. To do this, make sure thatthe problem you are discussing is not too obvious.
Consider the basic facts about a thesis for a college paper:
- A thesis is neither a topic nor an opinion. “Will Euthanasiabe Legalized in Asian Countries?” is a topic. “Asian people willnever support euthanasia” is an opinion.
- A thesis never comes in the form of a question. “Why is theAsian community against Euthanasia?” is not an argument. Noargument, no thesis.
- A thesis should not sound combative and vague. “The lawpermitting euthanasia is crucial for people in Asia” - it is hardto argue this statement because who decides it? This statement ismoralistic rather than reasonable. Moreover, people who do notsupport euthanasia will disagree with you and will unlikely readyour paper.
- “The chance of legislation of euthanasia in Asia isnon-existent due to cultural, historic and family values” is anineffective thesis too because a list of reasons prompts theaudience what to expect in your essay. It becomes evident thatyour paragraphs will be about historical reasons, family reasonsand so on. Is it intriguing? No. Is it intensive enough? No.
- A good thesis is arguable. “The claim of terminally ill Asianpatients that the life is their personal property is gettinglouder, but the authority will unlikely give them a chance tochoose to die”. This statement is effective as it shows that theAsian community has faced this problem and a certain number ofpeople support euthanasia. At the same time, there is a definiteclaim that the government will not adopt this law. The audiencewill react by inquiring “Why?”
So when writing a thesis for a college essay, you should make iteloquent and thought-provoking.
How a thesis should be supported
Once a thesis statement is designed, it is necessary to providethe supporting facts. High school students are used to tellingabout their own experiences in the body of the essay. Commonlytheir papers contain their personal views on the issue. It is notgood for the academic writing. Your own opinion should be leftbehind as professors do not care what you think about theproblem. They want to hear strong, well-researched facts fromreliable sources that fully back up your thesis. That means youshould approach the issue scientifically:
- To search for the information only in the credible academicresources
- To write in an unbiased, literally manner
- To present a unique paper
- To write accurately
Using the evidence to provide solid ground for your argument is amust. Otherwise, your paper will surely fail. Keep in mind thatall sources you used must be properly cited and referenced. Thecitation rules vary depending on the essay format.
High school vs college essay instructions
In high school, students have more freedom of choice whenchoosing a topic. It also concerns the structure, language andformat of their essays. The limitations for college students aremore demanding. Therefore, it is important to pay attention tothe instructions given by your professor.
By admitting the requirements, you get slighter chances that yourpaper will be turned down. For the record, while writing rememberthat you will probably be asked the following questions: “Haveyou taken into consideration..?”, “What about this statement? ”,“Why have you chosen this evidence?” and some of the kind. Thiswill help you write effectively and satisfy your instructor.
To avoid an unpleasant talk with your trainer, please followthese high school vs college essay writing rules:
- Learn about the deadline
- Ask about the format you should use for your essay (APA, MLAor Chicago)
- Ask if there are special requirements as to the type of theessay, its structure and length
- Inquire how much time is given to data collection andassembling the information
- Specify the sources (Professors usually want students to useparticular materials)
Without a doubt, college writing is much more troublesome anddemanding compared to the high school writing. However, everystudent can develop this skill with time. The thing is practice,practice and practice.
Competent hints and A+ college papers search
Essays, term papers, research papers and other thesis-relatedtasks are the forms of academic writing. When talking about highschool vs college essay skills, we should note that academicassignments require profound grammar and style knowledge,remarkable critical thinking and scientific approach. Add tothis, some more writing work such as bibliography, abstract page,cover page, etc. This is not surprising why students vex essayswhen studying in college.
Your first attempt to write a college paper will be successfulprovided that you can schedule your writing process effectively:
- Do the research
- Outline the essay
- Write a draft
- Proofread and edit
- Admit the limitations
- Meet the deadline
Often the situation turns to be so dramatic that you need urgentwriting help. We are the writers from a top essay service who canget to grips with the most difficult assignment in a matter ofhours. We will disburden you of the repulsive paper writing andsurprise you with flexible prices, bonuses and discounts. Joinhundreds of happy students who made excellent grades with us!
How to ...
We made your life easier with putting together a big number of articles and guidelines on how to plan and write different types of assignments (Essay, Research Paper, Dissertation etc)