Creative writing enables trainees to master a variety of writingstandards and techniques that help express the feelings and viewsof the author and deliver the message to the readers.
Creative writing provides the trainees with the understanding ofbasic fiction elements and such essentials as plot, scene andcharacters.
Creative writing is subdivided into such disciplines asplaywriting, memoirs, screenwriting, novels, essays, poetry, newsand more. Creative writing is interconnected with the branches ofscience like philosophy, linguistics, literature, communicationsand phycology.
Each creative writing course has the following objectives:
- To develop the ability of reading and understanding a pieceof writing
- To teach a student to use sources to produce a unique andeffective content
- To develop creativity, imagination and communication skills
- To develop student’s skills of portraying, characterizing anddescribing people and objects
- To teach the secrets of various writing genres
- To expand student’s knowledge of history and evolution offiction and non-fiction literature
- To develop student’s individual style
- To upgrade editing and proofreading skills
Graduates can employ their knowledge and skills working in anumber of areas connected with writing. Most often they can workas fiction writers, columnists, editors, bloggers, playwrights,screenwriters, speechwriters, and more.
What you should know about creative writing programs
The length of a Phd creative writing programme is 4-6 years, andif you have time to devote yourself entirely to this type ofwork, first you have to consider these worth notice attributes ofthe PhD level:
- The emphasis is given to research and theory. Most creativedissertations require a critical component.
- Like MFA programs, PhD courses have literary workshops,though much constricted.
- Courses for PhD students offer a broader range of artisticareas and genres to explore.
- When being enrolled in the course, students can instantlystart teaching Creative Writing as most of them already have aMaster’s degree. However, if they feel insecure about enteringinto pedagogy at the very start, they still have one or two yearsto get their direction into a trainer’s position.
- PhD programs require knowledge of two foreign languages,advanced knowledge for one and reading knowledge for another.However, students needn’t fear beforehand as many courses giveyou the opportunity to get a proficiency level throughout thestudies. Three or five years – the length of the course – will beenough for postgrads to upgrade their language skills throughnumerous writing assignments.
- PhD programs provide wider opportunities for the realizationof personal potential in the literary community. You can publishyour works in literary journals which are affiliated with auniversity. You may also work as a literacy tutor for children.At the bottom, PhD course allows you to establish a foothold in anew community.
- Sure enough PhD students often get various job offers duringtheir studies and have a wider choice of career prospects rightbefore their graduation.
At the end of the program, every postgraduate submits a creativedissertation, a delicate manuscript which is an evidence ofsuccessfully completed course.
No one knows whether in two or more decade’s time fiction writerswill need an academic degree to prove their professionalism andrelevance, still, today PhD is necessary for those who want tohave a long teaching career, improve their language skills orgain acknowledgement in a literary community. The list ofbenefits if you are a literary degree holder can be even longer.
Now you decide what program to choose, especially if you alreadyknow that each PhD course provides you with a plenty of time andoften with a good scholarship to hone your creative writingskills.
How to enter the course
The requirements for applicants who intend to enrol a PhDcreative writing course are the following:
- Bachelor's degree in English or a diploma that certifiestheir proficiency in English and American literature
- GRE General Test: analytical writing, quantitative reasoning,verbal reasoning. Scores are reportable for five years.
- IELTS – for international students only. An applicant musthave a score not lower than 6.5.
- TOEFL – for international students only – a paper-based scoremust be 600, computer-based score – 250 and 24 is a minimumsubscore for each of the four basic skills (Reading, Speaking,Writing, and Listening).
Applicants with other graduate degrees may also apply for thecourse on condition they can prove their ability to fulfil thework of literature.
All applications are accepted on equal grounds, however, theholders of Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in English arepreferable as they better correspond the program goals than thegraduates certified in other fields.
The Master's level is not a strict requirement. However, wewelcome all MFA, MS or MA holders as they compared to otherapplicants have stronger career aspirations, more academicexperience and advanced skills that align better with ourprogram. Still, everything depends on how an applicant can showhis or her aptitude for the course.
Additional entrance details
In addition to certificates and test scores, every applicant isrequired to provide the following documents:
- Letters of recommendation (three letters) from your formerteachers who can describe your writing skills
- A creative manuscript. An applicant may submit a fiction nomore than 20-25 pages or a piece of poetry no more than 10 pages(format: double-spaced, numbered single-sided pages). It isstrongly recommended not to go beyond the limits; otherwise, thework will not be accepted for the evaluation process.
- A critical paper for a literature course.
- A personal statement with the maximum 1000 words where youshould state why you want to complete a creative writing courseand what (books or writers) has affected your choice. Write aboutyour experience in teaching writing if any and tell if you areconsidering teaching or tutoring as a career.
- Official transcripts from every educational institution ofhigher education you attended.
Please note that you are free to choose several genres to applyfor. If To do that, you should send different applicationpackets. The fee is charged for each genre.
For more application details and fees, please visit our admissioncommittee page.
What to expect from the course
Our university staff is working hard to provide premium graduateeducation and friendly support for both full-time and part-timestudents. We provide a creative writing course that helpsgraduates grow as professional writers and flourish in a literarycommunity. Through our course, future writers get a deeperunderstanding of their social, political, ethical assumptions aswell as improve creative and critical thinking.
We lavish attention on our future PhD writers by giving them wideopportunities to penetrate into the serious literary environmentenriched by important relative disciplines includinganthropology, philosophy, history of science, art history,aesthetic theory, etc. The program comes in a variety of formslike faculty work, literature classes, workshops, group orindependent studies, seminars, and more.
We help every student discover a path into the world ofliterature regardless of a genre they write. The literary worksof our graduates and alumni regularly appear in journals andcollections of notable publishing houses. Our university canboast numerous books, stories, essays and poems written by ourtrainees that have won recognition from honoured critics andheterogeneous audience.
Creative writing framework
We lavish attention on our future PhD writers by giving them wideopportunities to penetrate into the serious literary environmentenriched by important relative disciplines includinganthropology, philosophy, history of science, art history,aesthetic theory, etc.
Graduates can shape up their creative writing skills through thefollowing introductory and basic classes:
- Basic English Grammar
- British and American Novels
- British Literature and British Culture
- Creative Non-fiction Writing: Prose and Digital Storytelling
- Discourse of Rights
- Editing and Publishing
- English and American Poetry
- English and American Drama
- Introduction to the Poetry Writing
- Literary Study and Critical Methods
- Media Writing (print & online)
- Methods of Teaching English
- Linguistics and Identity
- Popular Genres: Detective, Romance and Science-fiction
- Problem-Based Writing
- Rhetoric fundamentals
- Teaching Writing in Secondary Schools
- Understanding Biblical texts
- Understanding Literature
- Writing in Academic and Public Contexts
- Writing for Research
- Writing Tutoring
What you benefit
Our course is designed for the intended writers who want to entera literary world with profound writing skills, well-groundedacademic knowledge of the literary world and original style.
We offer a unique combination of theoretical and practicalcourses, teaching training and ample publishing experience. Inaddition to literary education, we cultivate social and culturalawareness of our graduates to ensure their effective writingactivity within the genre they work. The course is five years inlength, three of which are fully funded by the university. We arecommitted to providing ideal teaching, wide internshipopportunities together with comfortable and affordableaccommodation. Our students are engaged in a variety of literaryactivities and events and are introduced into the literary circleat both community and state levels.
We welcome graduates from across the globe for full-time,part-time and online creative writing courses. Visit our page tofor more academic programs.
How to ...
We made your life easier with putting together a big number of articles and guidelines on how to plan and write different types of assignments (Essay, Research Paper, Dissertation etc)