Creative writing enables trainees to master a variety of writing standards and techniques that help express the feelings and views of the author and deliver the message to the readers.
Creative writing provides the trainees with the understanding of basic fiction elements and such essentials as plot, scene and characters.
Creative writing is subdivided into such disciplines as playwriting, memoirs, screenwriting, novels, essays, poetry, news and more. Creative writing is interconnected with the branches of science like philosophy, linguistics, literature, communications and phycology.
Each creative writing course has the following objectives:
- To develop the ability of reading and understanding a piece of writing
- To teach a student to use sources to produce a unique and effective content
- To develop creativity, imagination and communication skills
- To develop student’s skills of portraying, characterizing and describing people and objects
- To teach the secrets of various writing genres
- To expand student’s knowledge of history and evolution of fiction and non-fiction literature
- To develop student’s individual style
- To upgrade editing and proofreading skills
Ready to make your order?Get your great paper now
Graduates can employ their knowledge and skills working in a number of areas connected with writing. Most often they can work as fiction writers, columnists, editors, bloggers, playwrights, screenwriters, speechwriters, and more.
What you should know about creative writing programs
The length of a Phd creative writing programme is 4-6 years, and if you have time to devote yourself entirely to this type of work, first you have to consider these worth notice attributes of the PhD level:
- The emphasis is given to research and theory. Most creative dissertations require a critical component.
- Like MFA programs, PhD courses have literary workshops, though much constricted.
- Courses for PhD students offer a broader range of artistic areas and genres to explore.
- When being enrolled in the course, students can instantly start teaching Creative Writing as most of them already have a Master’s degree. However, if they feel insecure about entering into pedagogy at the very start, they still have one or two years to get their direction into a trainer’s position.
- PhD programs require knowledge of two foreign languages, advanced knowledge for one and reading knowledge for another. However, students needn’t fear beforehand as many courses give you the opportunity to get a proficiency level throughout the studies. Three or five years – the length of the course – will be enough for postgrads to upgrade their language skills through numerous writing assignments.
- PhD programs provide wider opportunities for the realization of personal potential in the literary community. You can publish your works in literary journals which are affiliated with a university. You may also work as a literacy tutor for children. At the bottom, PhD course allows you to establish a foothold in a new community.
- Sure enough PhD students often get various job offers during their studies and have a wider choice of career prospects right before their graduation.
At the end of the program, every postgraduate submits a creative dissertation, a delicate manuscript which is an evidence of successfully completed course.
No one knows whether in two or more decade’s time fiction writers will need an academic degree to prove their professionalism and relevance, still, today PhD is necessary for those who want to have a long teaching career, improve their language skills or gain acknowledgement in a literary community. The list of benefits if you are a literary degree holder can be even longer.
Now you decide what program to choose, especially if you already know that each PhD course provides you with a plenty of time and often with a good scholarship to hone your creative writing skills.
How to enter the course
The requirements for applicants who intend to enrol a PhD creative writing course are the following:
- Bachelor's degree in English or a diploma that certifies their proficiency in English and American literature
- GRE General Test: analytical writing, quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning. Scores are reportable for five years.
- IELTS – for international students only. An applicant must have a score not lower than 6.5.
- TOEFL – for international students only – a paper-based score must be 600, computer-based score – 250 and 24 is a minimum subscore for each of the four basic skills (Reading, Speaking, Writing, and Listening).
Ready to make your order?Get your great paper now
Applicants with other graduate degrees may also apply for the course on condition they can prove their ability to fulfil the work of literature.
All applications are accepted on equal grounds, however, the holders of Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in English are preferable as they better correspond the program goals than the graduates certified in other fields.
The Master's level is not a strict requirement. However, we welcome all MFA, MS or MA holders as they compared to other applicants have stronger career aspirations, more academic experience and advanced skills that align better with our program. Still, everything depends on how an applicant can show his or her aptitude for the course.
Additional entrance details
In addition to certificates and test scores, every applicant is required to provide the following documents:
- Letters of recommendation (three letters) from your former teachers who can describe your writing skills
- A creative manuscript. An applicant may submit a fiction no more than 20-25 pages or a piece of poetry no more than 10 pages (format: double-spaced, numbered single-sided pages). It is strongly recommended not to go beyond the limits; otherwise, the work will not be accepted for the evaluation process.
- A critical paper for a literature course.
- A personal statement with the maximum 1000 words where you should state why you want to complete a creative writing course and what (books or writers) has affected your choice. Write about your experience in teaching writing if any and tell if you are considering teaching or tutoring as a career.
- Official transcripts from every educational institution of higher education you attended.
Please note that you are free to choose several genres to apply for. If To do that, you should send different application packets. The fee is charged for each genre.
For more application details and fees, please visit our admission committee page.
What to expect from the course
Our university staff is working hard to provide premium graduate education and friendly support for both full-time and part-time students. We provide a creative writing course that helps graduates grow as professional writers and flourish in a literary community. Through our course, future writers get a deeper understanding of their social, political, ethical assumptions as well as improve creative and critical thinking.
We lavish attention on our future PhD writers by giving them wide opportunities to penetrate into the serious literary environment enriched by important relative disciplines including anthropology, philosophy, history of science, art history, aesthetic theory, etc. The program comes in a variety of forms like faculty work, literature classes, workshops, group or independent studies, seminars, and more.
We help every student discover a path into the world of literature regardless of a genre they write. The literary works of our graduates and alumni regularly appear in journals and collections of notable publishing houses. Our university can boast numerous books, stories, essays and poems written by our trainees that have won recognition from honoured critics and heterogeneous audience.
Creative writing framework
We lavish attention on our future PhD writers by giving them wide opportunities to penetrate into the serious literary environment enriched by important relative disciplines including anthropology, philosophy, history of science, art history, aesthetic theory, etc.
Graduates can shape up their creative writing skills through the following introductory and basic classes:
- Basic English Grammar
- British and American Novels
- British Literature and British Culture
- Creative Non-fiction Writing: Prose and Digital Storytelling
- Discourse of Rights
- Editing and Publishing
- English and American Poetry
- English and American Drama
- Introduction to the Poetry Writing
- Literary Study and Critical Methods
- Media Writing (print & online)
- Methods of Teaching English
- Linguistics and Identity
- Popular Genres: Detective, Romance and Science-fiction
- Problem-Based Writing
- Rhetoric fundamentals
- Teaching Writing in Secondary Schools
- Understanding Biblical texts
- Understanding Literature
- Writing in Academic and Public Contexts
- Writing for Research
- Writing Tutoring
What you benefit
Our course is designed for the intended writers who want to enter a literary world with profound writing skills, well-grounded academic knowledge of the literary world and original style.
We offer a unique combination of theoretical and practical courses, teaching training and ample publishing experience. In addition to literary education, we cultivate social and cultural awareness of our graduates to ensure their effective writing activity within the genre they work. The course is five years in length, three of which are fully funded by the university. We are committed to providing ideal teaching, wide internship opportunities together with comfortable and affordable accommodation. Our students are engaged in a variety of literary activities and events and are introduced into the literary circle at both community and state levels.
We welcome graduates from across the globe for full-time, part-time and online creative writing courses. Visit our page to for more academic programs.
Price Plan & Our Features
- Free Outline
- Free Formatting
- Free Title page
- Free Reference Page
- Free Revisions
- Free Submission by Chapters
- Free Plagiarism Report
- Free Customer Service
- 1 – page abstract
- VIP Support
- Expedited delivery
- Essay outline
How to ...
We made your life easier with putting together a big number of articles and guidelines on how to plan and write different types of assignments (Essay, Research Paper, Dissertation etc)