Writing science fair research paper may seem like a challengingtask but it is not as difficult as it seems. Science fairresearch papers are written in the form format that you may useto write a science project report. If your project includespeople, animals, regulated substances, or hazardous materials,you can attach an appendix that includes special activities youneeded to do for your project. There may be some additionalsections in your report like bibliographies and abstracts.
Sections to include in your science fair research paper
Before you start writing a paper, check with your teacher aboutthe rules and guidelines of the school, which you need to followin the process of your paper.
The table of contents of your paper should consist of thefollowing:
- Abstract. It is a short overview of the project. Usually hasone or two paragraphs. In no case, it should be longer than onepage.
- Entry. In the entry, you need to offer hypothesis, questionvariables, and explanation of what made you begin your researchas well as what you hope to achieve.
- Background research. The research you have conducted beforeyou started writing a paper.
- A list of sources. This is a list of all sources you haveused in your research as well as supplies you needed to conductit.
- Experiments. Here, you need to describe in detail the methodyou used to gather your information or make observations. Makesure to explain all the details so that someone could repeat yourexperiment step-by-step. Insert chart, all drawings, graphs, andother important data.
- An analysis of the information and discussion. Here, you needto include all the measurements and data from your experimentalong with charts, graphs, and drawings. Explain the results andoffer a summary of what you discovered during your observations.Contrast the results with published information you found in yourresearch. If you have too much information that can be put onseveral pages, include it in an appendix.
- Conclusion. Sum up all your results. Include only informationthat you have stated before in your paper.
- Suggestions for further research. Sometimes you may be askedto provide suggestions on how your project can be expanded in thefuture.
- Acknowledgments. This is a brief statement that containsnames of people who have assisted you in your project. Here, youneed to thank them for their contribution to your success.
- Bibliography. In this section, you need to include all themagazines, articles, books, and interviews that you used toconduct your research.
Using a sample of a science fair research paper
Participating in the science fair is one of the most interestingthings you can do at school. This is when you need to come upwith an interesting science experiment that you’d like to conductand then show it to your family and friends. A lot of studentsparticipate in such events so that you can go around during thefair and watch the experiments of other students.
One of the unpleasant parts of a science fair is the writing of aresearch project on your findings. This is the most significantsection of your task. You will need to conduct a research, offera hypothesis, examine it, and then show your results. The paperwill contain your results and your hypothesis.
To learn how to write a science fair research paper, get a goodsample to see what you need to include in your project. This kindof paper is not the same as others since you need to provide datain terms of what test you are applying and the findings you aregetting. You will need to conduct an experiment and then offeryour summary.
Places where you can find good samples of a science fair researchpaper include:
- How to guides
- Instructional websites
- Image files
How to guides and instructional sites
There are a lot of websites that offer you instructions on how todo various things. Usually, you can find a good sample of a paperon one of such sites where you can learn how to compose aneffective project. You will be offered a lot of assistance andexplanations on how to do it. Having the visual and theinstructions, it is better for you to understand how to prepare aprofessional paper.
Image files are an amazing place to find samples of variouspapers. Try using a search engine to see what you can find. Thisway, you can find a good piece that you can read and use theformat for your own paper.
You can really learn a lot from someone else’s project. Readthrough the paper a few times to get the best idea. Analyze it bydividing it in parts and find different pieces that will beincluded in your plan. Then you can use the data to compose yourown paper. You may want to copy the headlines from the paper andinsert them in your own document and then just complete themsection by section.
Research process for a science fair background
- You will need to conduct the following research process toget background information on your project:
- You will need to use 60 index cards.
- Compile a list of 20 questions about your subject and provideanswers to every question from three different sources.
- Write every question on one side of your index cards. Onequestion per card. In total, you should have 60 cards.
- On the back of every index card, write answers to yourquestions. Along with the answer, provide all the necessaryinformation about the source.
- Sort the cards out by a question number.
- Continue working until you have almost equal amount ofinformation on every question and you feel that the subject hasbeen fully studied.
- Sort out your questions into the main points that you willuse as part of your plan and sources.
Background research is important so that you know how to designyour experiment and how to write a science fair research paper ina professional manner. You need to answer some questions to makea background research plan. These tips will help you:
- Define the keywords in the question for your project.Brainstorm additional concepts and keywords.
- Use various question words to produce research questions fromyour keywords.
- Add a list of mathematical equations and formulas if thereare nay to do your research plan.
- Do a background research on the history of similar inventionsand experiments.
- Connect with other people who have more experience.
Writing the research paper
Before you start writing, think about the best order to talkabout the major sections of your report. The best way is to startwith your science fair project questions so that the audienceknows the purpose of your paper. After that, ask yourself whatinformation the audience needs to learn first in order tounderstand the rest of your paper. Usually the organization looksas follows:
- A science fair project topic or question
- Define the important concepts, words, and equations that talkabout your experiment
- Offer history of similar experiments
- Give answers to the questions of your background research
As you will need to include a bibliography in your paper, youwill need to take notes. You may find it convenient to take notesusing cards. You can use the method described above.
Footnoting and referencing sources
When writing a paper, you may want to include pictures, words,diagrams, or ideas from your sources. There’s nothing wrong incopying such information as long as you reference it with thecitation. If the information you are using is a paragraph, asentence, or a phrase then you should include it in quotationmarks that will tell the audience who actually wrote thisinformation.
Reference citation is one of the best ways to referenceinformation you copy in your science fair project. It is veryeasy. All you need to do is include the last name of the author,the year of publication, and the page number if necessary inparentheses after the facts you copy. Make sure that the sourceof the citation item is listed in your bibliography.
How to ...
We made your life easier with putting together a big number of articles and guidelines on how to plan and write different types of assignments (Essay, Research Paper, Dissertation etc)