If you were asked to write an essay about yourself, you are notalone. A writing about yourself can be very difficult to dowhether you’re writing an essay for a college project or foradmission to a college. There are many things you need toconsider when writing this kind of paper. You need to figure outwhat details you need to include in your essay and develop yourpersonal experiences into an interesting story. Also, you need toknow how to write about sensitive subjects and people withoutoffending anyone.
Getting ideas for your paper
When writing a paper, you may be given a prompt. For instance,you may be asked to write about the happiest time in your life.Or you may be asked to create a paper from scratch coming up withan interesting idea, which can be difficult. In order for youressay to stand out, you need to discuss an experience that noteverybody goes through.
Even though such events like a wedding, the birth of a child, ora college achievement may seem important to you, they are thethings that many people go through. Therefore, they may not beparticularly interesting to a reader. Instead try to come up withsomething where you need to describe your personal struggles.
Finding ideas and inspiration
If it is difficult for you to come up with an interesting topicfor your paper, try to do the following:
- Check out online for various ideas on how to write an essayabout yourself in an interesting way.
- Try to write in a stream of consciousness. Open a documentand just start writing anything that comes into your mind withoutstopping until you fill three pages.
- Conduct a research. There are many places where you canresearch the subject in addition to the internet. However, don’tsteal ideas, instead get inspiration from them.
Working on your grammar
If you know that grammar is not your strongest side, you may wantto do some refreshing and use various sources to improve yourgrammatical skills. You can find many books online and in thelibraries. It is always useful to purchase a good grammar bookand have it at hand at home.
Using your own vocabulary and voice
One of the things your professor will be paying attention towhile reading your paper is the use of the active voice. Theactive voice lets the reader know exactly who is doing what.
Personal papers are very casual and full of feelings. If you arewriting about something you are passionate about, you will causeemotions in your readers as well. When you show how you feel,your readers can usually relate to this and this is when you makea real impact. You should be tough about your opinion, yourviews, and your feelings. Don’t use weak words such as could,would, and should.
Your most powerful tool is the use of the positive language.Instead of writing about the things you are against of, writeabout something you are for. Also use the voice that is naturalto you. Use your own vocabulary. When you apply your own voice,and describe your own experiences, your writing becauseauthentic.
Check what the plagiarism is and try to stay away from it. Thisis your personal essay, so never use the thoughts and ideas ofother people and then call them your own.
Other tips to follow when writing a paper
- Make prior notes. Before you start writing the essay, takesome time to brainstorm ideas. You don’t have to includeeverything in your final version, this is simply an exercise thatwill help you find as many ideas for your paper as possible.
- Make a list of your weaknesses and strengths. You can writeabout your emotional, mental, physical, or spiritual qualities.Describe your special hobbies or talents. If there are heroes youlike, you can name them as well. Then write about yoursignificant experiences. Add some dates to refresh your memory incase you want to write a paper in a chronological manner. Alsowrite down some adjectives that you think describe you the best.
- Choose a format. Sometimes you may be given instructions onwhat format to use. If you didn’t get any special guidelines, itis always best to follow the five-paragraph method. This is astandard method that includes the opening paragraph, three strongparagraphs, and a deduction.
- Don’t be very negative. Of course, you may mention some roughtimes you have experienced. However, it is better to leave somethings unsaid. Use negative characteristics and situations onlyto highlight your good points. For instance, if one of yourparents has left you as a child and you had to take care of yourother sibling, you can say how this experience taught you to bemore responsible and mature. In any case concentrate on theoutcome of that experience rather than the experience itself.
- Start with a strong sentence. Whether your essay will have atitle or not, you will want to start the paper with a strongsentence. For instance, you can quote your favorite writer,mention something that other people say about you, or make a jokethat shows you as a person.
Writing a thesis
This is a statement, which is included in the entry of yourpaper. It is not the same as the hook. It gives the overalldescription of what you are going to talk about in your paper.
Craft three effective paragraphs
There are several ways to structure your paper. You may write oneparagraph about your most important memories, values, or goals.Or you can devote one paragraph describing yourself socially,psychologically, or physically. Again, you may have been giveninstructions on how to structure your paper, so be sure to followthem if you got any. Otherwise, you can be creative and think ofan original organization for your essay.
Be definite with descriptions
Personal papers give a unique view of the topic. Be descriptiveand try to use all the senses. Make everything possible to putthe audience in your shoes and assist them to experience exactlywhat you smelled, saw, felt, tasted, or heard. Explain how youfelt – whether you were nervous, how everything looked like, whatthe weather was like, etc.
Be logical with your point of you
Personal essays, as the name suggests, should be written in thefirst person using the pronoun I. When writing in the firstperson, you’re talking about yourself only. You can makeobservations of other people, but you can’t speak for them orknow for sure what they are thinking about.
Usually a lot of personal papers are written in the past tensebecause you are talking about something that happened to you inthe past. If you want to, you can write in the present tense. Themain point is to be logical and consistent. Whatever tense youdecide to apply, stick to it without switching back-and-forthbetween various tenses.
One of the most important parts of the writing process isediting. Once you finish your essay, let it sit for a day andthen go back to it and read it again. By putting your esssayaside for a day or even several hours, gives you a chance to havea break and concentrate on other things rather than writing. Whenyou read your essay again think about your audience. Try toanswer the following questions:
- Is your message clear?
- Do you use correct grammar?
- Is the sentence structure correct?
- Do you write logically?
- Does one thing follow from the other naturally?
- Do you use the same tense?
- Are there words you can eliminate?
- Did you make your point?
It is hard to edit your own work. Therefore, if you can, asksomeone else to do it because it will help you a lot. If you canafford it, you can hire an essay editing service where theprofessionals will properly read your essay and correct all themistakes. When you choose a service to correct your essay be verycareful. You need to find a reliable site that is legal, and youcan rely on.
How to ...
We made your life easier with putting together a big number of articles and guidelines on how to plan and write different types of assignments (Essay, Research Paper, Dissertation etc)