Once you write the title for your paper, you need to work on the introductory paragraph. It sets up the audience for the text that is about to come. You need to start your paper on a positive note by introducing the best possible writing.
You can start writing your introductory section once you are done with the paper. Sometimes this is a good way to write a good entry since you know what your paper is about, and it is easier for you to make an entry. However, it is your personal matter when you want to write an entry.
Importance of a good introduction
It is very important to make a good first impression. Think about how often you read an article and you don’t finish it because you lose interest in the first two lines. Readers are going to approach your paper in the same way. If there is nothing interesting for them in the first several lines, they will stop reading your paper. If you don’t have a good entry, your essay will be ruined.
In order to craft a perfect entry, it takes time and some effort. Read below to learn how to write an essay introduction in an effective manner.
Ready to make your order?Get your great paper now
The first section of your paper is the so-called attention grabber. This is when you have to interest the readers in the subject so that they’ll know what they will read in your paper. You need to grab their attention in an original and fresh way. Even though you may want to start your paper with a definition from the dictionary, this method is boring because it is widely used by many students. Instead, try one of these options:
- Insert an interesting quote that sums up your argument in a nice way.
- Provide surprising statistic that reveals something unique about the issue you are addressing in your paper.
- You may want to use an anecdote or a funny story to emotionally involve your readers if you are personally connected to the subject.
- Rhetorical questions are another good option to grab the readers’ attention since they place them in a situation when they need to think about your subject in a new way.
- Provide an example a life experience. If you’re writing an essay about a problem of drinking while driving, you may want to add a narrative about someone whose life was changed forever because of a drunk accident.
Background on your topic
Once you write an attention grabber, proceed to the next section where you need to provide some background information on a certain subject of your paper. In this section, the readers see why you chose the subject. This section also transits them to the next part of your project.
This part is often called a transitional section of the entry. Even if you use an example about a drunk driver, who got into accident, to attract readers attention, your paper is not about this particular driver. This grabber was meant to make the readers think about how driving drunk can ruin people’s lives. However, it doesn’t talk about the need for more severe penalties for drunk driving.
Thus, cover the gap between the attention hook and the thesis offering some transitional narrative. In this section of your entry, narrow the topic focus and tell why the attention hook is relevant to the particular problem you are discussing. Introduce your topic and offer necessary background data the audience would need to comprehend the issue you are discussing. Provide definitions to any main terms that the audience may not know.
You can form a brief discussion of the scope of the issue of drinking while driving. Explain how serious the issue is and why people need to care about it. This will move the audience from the narrative about a drunken driver to the real subject, which may be the importance for more severe penalties for drinking and driving.
Concluding the entry
If you want to know how to write an essay introduction effectively, it is important to conclude your entry with a concise proposal or a general opinion you want to make in your essay. This is a thesis statement. It tells what your paper will be debating about.
For instance, your thesis can be the argument you’re attempting to make about the drinking while driving problem. You may debate that stronger enforcement of current rules is necessary as well as stricter penalties. No matter what the case is, your thesis should be a clear proposal that makes the main idea of your essay.
You can also include a roadmap in your entry explaining how you’ll support your thesis. This way the readers will get an overall sense of how you’ll structure different points in you essay. This map is often included in the thesis statement.
Ready to make your order?Get your great paper now
When crafting an entry, make sure that it concisely reflects the main objective of the task and that the thesis statement demonstrates not only the subject you are discussing but also indicates a clear opinion about this subject that you’re supporting and developing throughout your paper. In short papers, the entry is usually no more than two paragraphs. However, if you’re working on a longer paper, it can be a few paragraphs long.
General advice about entries
Some of the general advice about entries include:
- Some students can’t start working on the main part of the paper unless they have their entry ready. However, be careful to not devote too much time to the preparation of the entry.
- If you feel like writing an entry first in order to study your own thinking on the subject, at a later stage you may need to shorten your entry.
- You may leave the writing of the entry for a later stage. Some students prefer working on an entry only after they complete the rest of the paper. Others prefer working on the entry first but then they rewrite it to match it to the points discussed in the paper.
- Most entries can be written effectively in one paragraph taking only 3/4 of the page. The length for the entry should relate to the length and difficulty of the whole paper. If your paper consists of 20 pages. Your entry maybe two pages long.
- Try to raise the topic in the very first sentences. Many students make a mistake starting too far off topic. Stay away from generalizations and get to the point as quickly as possible.
- Thesis statement usually appears at the end of your entry. You may include a brief roadmap to your paper after the thesis. The map demonstrates the basic organization of your argument. The longer your paper, the more useful roadmap is.
How to write an interesting entry
Follow these strategies in order to get the readers’ attention and make your entry original:
- Include a startling fact that demonstrates how serious the problem is.
- Include a quote by a famous expert.
- Provide a general misperception your thesis will debate against.
- Use a short anecdote or narrative that demonstrates why you chosen a topic.
- Offer some background information on the subject.
- If you’re writing a science paper, explain the main scientific concepts and refer to relevant sources.
- If you are working on a technical essay, provide a definition to the terms that are possibly not known to your audience but are important to understand the paper.
The impact of the genre on the entry
Keep in mind that different genres impose their own instructions for entries as well as endings. There are some academic genres that do not need an entry or deduction at all. One of such genres is an annotated bibliography – it typically needs neither. If you’re writing a book review, it may start with a summary of the book and with an overall evaluation of it. A policy briefing usually has an entry, but it ends with the row of recommendations. Check the instructions of your task thoroughly to know what to include in your entry.
Writing the entry last
Even though the entry is something that your readers read first, it doesn’t have to be written in the first place.
Always start with a strong thesis for your essay. However, you may begin writing the body of your essay first. Sometimes it may be easier for you to come up with an effective entry and strong thesis once you wrote and described all the main arguments of your paper.
Another option is to try and write the body and deduction of your paper first. Once you have a deduction, think about reworking your ideas into a great entry. Often, revised deductions make the best entries.
If you need a little help starting your paper, look for various useful tips on how to write an essay introduction and get high score. If you can afford it, use the services of professional editors who will look at your paper and will help you craft a professional entry.
Price Plan & Our Features
- Free Outline
- Free Formatting
- Free Title page
- Free Reference Page
- Free Revisions
- Free Submission by Chapters
- Free Plagiarism Report
- Free Customer Service
- 1 – page abstract
- VIP Support
- Expedited delivery
- Essay outline
How to ...
We made your life easier with putting together a big number of articles and guidelines on how to plan and write different types of assignments (Essay, Research Paper, Dissertation etc)