Once you write the title for your paper, you need to work on theintroductory paragraph. It sets up the audience for the text thatis about to come. You need to start your paper on a positive noteby introducing the best possible writing.
You can start writing your introductory section once you are donewith the paper. Sometimes this is a good way to write a goodentry since you know what your paper is about, and it is easierfor you to make an entry. However, it is your personal matterwhen you want to write an entry.
Importance of a good introduction
It is very important to make a good first impression. Think abouthow often you read an article and you don’t finish it because youlose interest in the first two lines. Readers are going toapproach your paper in the same way. If there is nothinginteresting for them in the first several lines, they will stopreading your paper. If you don’t have a good entry, your essaywill be ruined.
In order to craft a perfect entry, it takes time and some effort.Read below to learn how to write an essay introduction in aneffective manner.
The first section of your paper is the so-called attentiongrabber. This is when you have to interest the readers in thesubject so that they’ll know what they will read in your paper.You need to grab their attention in an original and fresh way.Even though you may want to start your paper with a definitionfrom the dictionary, this method is boring because it is widelyused by many students. Instead, try one of these options:
- Insert an interesting quote that sums up your argument in anice way.
- Provide surprising statistic that reveals something uniqueabout the issue you are addressing in your paper.
- You may want to use an anecdote or a funny story toemotionally involve your readers if you are personally connectedto the subject.
- Rhetorical questions are another good option to grab thereaders’ attention since they place them in a situation when theyneed to think about your subject in a new way.
- Provide an example a life experience. If you’re writing anessay about a problem of drinking while driving, you may want toadd a narrative about someone whose life was changed foreverbecause of a drunk accident.
Background on your topic
Once you write an attention grabber, proceed to the next sectionwhere you need to provide some background information on acertain subject of your paper. In this section, the readers seewhy you chose the subject. This section also transits them to thenext part of your project.
This part is often called a transitional section of the entry.Even if you use an example about a drunk driver, who got intoaccident, to attract readers attention, your paper is not aboutthis particular driver. This grabber was meant to make thereaders think about how driving drunk can ruin people’s lives.However, it doesn’t talk about the need for more severe penaltiesfor drunk driving.
Thus, cover the gap between the attention hook and the thesisoffering some transitional narrative. In this section of yourentry, narrow the topic focus and tell why the attention hook isrelevant to the particular problem you are discussing. Introduceyour topic and offer necessary background data the audience wouldneed to comprehend the issue you are discussing. Providedefinitions to any main terms that the audience may not know.
You can form a brief discussion of the scope of the issue ofdrinking while driving. Explain how serious the issue is and whypeople need to care about it. This will move the audience fromthe narrative about a drunken driver to the real subject, whichmay be the importance for more severe penalties for drinking anddriving.
Concluding the entry
If you want to know how to write an essay introductioneffectively, it is important to conclude your entry with aconcise proposal or a general opinion you want to make in youressay. This is a thesis statement. It tells what your paper willbe debating about.
For instance, your thesis can be the argument you’re attemptingto make about the drinking while driving problem. You may debatethat stronger enforcement of current rules is necessary as wellas stricter penalties. No matter what the case is, your thesisshould be a clear proposal that makes the main idea of youressay.
You can also include a roadmap in your entry explaining howyou’ll support your thesis. This way the readers will get anoverall sense of how you’ll structure different points in youessay. This map is often included in the thesis statement.
When crafting an entry, make sure that it concisely reflects themain objective of the task and that the thesis statementdemonstrates not only the subject you are discussing but alsoindicates a clear opinion about this subject that you’resupporting and developing throughout your paper. In short papers,the entry is usually no more than two paragraphs. However, ifyou’re working on a longer paper, it can be a few paragraphslong.
General advice about entries
Some of the general advice about entries include:
- Some students can’t start working on the main part of thepaper unless they have their entry ready. However, be careful tonot devote too much time to the preparation of the entry.
- If you feel like writing an entry first in order to studyyour own thinking on the subject, at a later stage you may needto shorten your entry.
- You may leave the writing of the entry for a later stage.Some students prefer working on an entry only after they completethe rest of the paper. Others prefer working on the entry firstbut then they rewrite it to match it to the points discussed inthe paper.
- Most entries can be written effectively in one paragraphtaking only 3/4 of the page. The length for the entry shouldrelate to the length and difficulty of the whole paper. If yourpaper consists of 20 pages. Your entry maybe two pages long.
- Try to raise the topic in the very first sentences. Manystudents make a mistake starting too far off topic. Stay awayfrom generalizations and get to the point as quickly as possible.
- Thesis statement usually appears at the end of your entry.You may include a brief roadmap to your paper after the thesis.The map demonstrates the basic organization of your argument. Thelonger your paper, the more useful roadmap is.
How to write an interesting entry
Follow these strategies in order to get the readers’ attentionand make your entry original:
- Include a startling fact that demonstrates how serious theproblem is.
- Include a quote by a famous expert.
- Provide a general misperception your thesis will debateagainst.
- Use a short anecdote or narrative that demonstrates why youchosen a topic.
- Offer some background information on the subject.
- If you’re writing a science paper, explain the mainscientific concepts and refer to relevant sources.
- If you are working on a technical essay, provide a definitionto the terms that are possibly not known to your audience but areimportant to understand the paper.
The impact of the genre on the entry
Keep in mind that different genres impose their own instructionsfor entries as well as endings. There are some academic genresthat do not need an entry or deduction at all. One of such genresis an annotated bibliography – it typically needs neither. Ifyou’re writing a book review, it may start with a summary of thebook and with an overall evaluation of it. A policy briefingusually has an entry, but it ends with the row ofrecommendations. Check the instructions of your task thoroughlyto know what to include in your entry.
Writing the entry last
Even though the entry is something that your readers read first,it doesn’t have to be written in the first place.
Always start with a strong thesis for your essay. However, youmay begin writing the body of your essay first. Sometimes it maybe easier for you to come up with an effective entry and strongthesis once you wrote and described all the main arguments ofyour paper.
Another option is to try and write the body and deduction of yourpaper first. Once you have a deduction, think about reworkingyour ideas into a great entry. Often, revised deductions make thebest entries.
If you need a little help starting your paper, look for varioususeful tips on how to write an essay introduction and get highscore. If you can afford it, use the services of professionaleditors who will look at your paper and will help you craft aprofessional entry.
How to ...
We made your life easier with putting together a big number of articles and guidelines on how to plan and write different types of assignments (Essay, Research Paper, Dissertation etc)