When you make a final decision to choose Macaulay Honors Collegebecause it suits all of your education needs, it’s time toexplore the main reasons why you are its best candidate. Why doesthe admissions committee need to choose you instead of many otherapplicants? Writing an excellent Macaulay Honors College essayplays a big role in making all officers believe that you’re aperfect candidate they’re looking for.
How to get started
At this stage of your application process, admissions officersalways know about your extracurricular activities and grades.They want you to demonstrate that you’re a real personal behindall of these documents, so essay writing requires you to describeyour personality. There are some basic tips that can help yousucceed:
- Be prepared to tell readers a great story that characterizesyou in a specific way;
- Conduct your research to determine the moral values andprinciples appreciated by this college;
- Make a detailed outline of your future application essay;
- Proofread everything carefully;
- Think carefully about the chosen topic.
It will be easier for you to decide what you want to write aboutin your paper if you determine your best traits. If you face anydifficulties during the entire writing process, you can count onthe assistance of professional writers.
Basic essay questions
All applicants are required to write two essays as a part oftheir application process. They both have a 500-word limit, andthere are exact essay questions to be answered in each one. Forexample, when writing your personal reflection, you can do thefollowing:
- Discuss your remarkable memory about reading and writing thatyou can recall vividly;
- Describe any amazing experience that can demonstrate yourpersonality or proves how it was shaped.
When writing your Macaulay Honors College essay about socialissues, you’re expected to:
- Choose a certain story of local or national importance anduse your sense of humor, justice, or outrage to explain why it’sworth attention;
- Pick something about your city that excites or intrigues youand describe it.
Planning your future essay
First, you need to understand the psychology of admissionofficers because understanding what they’re searching for is themain key to convincing them that you’re a perfect candidate. Thecommittee wants applicants who will:
- Contribute to educational experiences of others;
- Succeed once being admitted;
- Bring more prestige and honor after graduating.
In your college application essay, portray yourself as someonewho can meet all of these requirements. Before getting started,take a short break and give answers to the following questions:
- How can you show that you’re ambitious and determined?
- How will you reassure the committee that you will succeed intheir college?
- How can you bring more prestige and honor to it?
- How will you contribute positively to other educationalexperiences?
- What are your long-term educational goals?
The answers that you give to these questions will frame thecontent of your future essay.
Determining essay goals
Next, you need to contemplate how you wish admissions officers toperceive you. After reading your Macaulay Honors College essay,they should think about your activities and personality in acertain way. Most applicants prefer the committee to view them asdependable, responsible, and ambitious. These traits areexcellent, but you should consider this paper in relation to yourclasswork too. If it proves that you’re determined and studious,it’s advisable to highlight other features of your personality.
In addition to creating the image of your character, this essayallows you to feature other life aspects, which aren’t reflectedin your coursework. Think about the following important aspects:
- Membership in any organization or club;
- Relevant or interesting job;
- Compassion and community responsibility;
- Teamwork or leadership.
Distinguishing yourself from others
Reference your strengths without elaborating at length because afew sentences are enough to make sure that admissions officerswill pay attention to you. Take into account your interestingbackgrounds and don’t forget that you’re a complete person withmany life experiences. Take some time to consider yourdifferences and determine what can distinguish you from otherapplicants. Add all of these unique traits to your collegeapplication essay.
Contributing to the college
As you already know, admissions officers want to find applicantswho can improve the educational experiences of other students.Determine how you can contribute to their learning and broadentheir experiences and help them realize the limits of theirintellect and grow beyond them. Think about how you cancontribute to the learning and social environment of the college:
- Being excellent at study groups and other types ofcollaborative work;
- Writing for student blogs or newsletters;
- Joining athletic teams or student organizations.
Add anything that you feel important to your list of essay goals.
Understanding and answering essay prompts
At this stage of your writing process, you have more ideas thatcan fit into your 500-word application essay. You should focus iton a few interesting ideas that can make you the best candidatefor the admissions committee. Be sure to include your answers toessay prompts, no matter what they ask. The main goal for you toachieve is to present a few valuable ideas very well.
How to ...
We made your life easier with putting together a big number of articles and guidelines on how to plan and write different types of assignments (Essay, Research Paper, Dissertation etc)