When teachers or instructors ask you to submit a good opposite of assign essay, the first thing that you should do is to become familiar with definition papers. Basically, this academic assignment requires you to give a definition of this word, and it should be logical and well-supported by evidence and research. Start with finding the right definition before you create the first draft that presents it using reliable sources and suitable references. When you’re done, your essay should be polished to ensure that it flows well and doesn’t contain any grammar mistakes. This writing task requires you to explain the meaning of a given term by giving its detailed description and support it with clear facts or examples. Your explanations are necessary if the chosen term is disputed, abstract, special, or doesn’t have any common meaning.
Basic steps to write a good definition paper
To write a strong definition essay, there are some steps that should be taken, including:
- Pick a particular term that you will define and introduce it to the audience (you can do it in a few ways, but the main purpose is to indicate the content of your essay clearly);
- Use reliable sources, such as encyclopedias and dictionaries, to see how the chosen term is defined and consider an effective way to merge or combine them to end up with a unique definition;
- Present the chosen term to readers in the introduction;
- Provide them with detailed information about it in the main body (in addition to your description, point out common uses and information about origins or evolution while highlighting mistakes in its definition);
- Give any strong examples that can fully explain and illustrate your definition.
Key points to be considered
Giving your definition in essays is not copying everything written in dictionaries and other sources. If you can’t define any new meaning for the chosen concept, use any existing definition with your personal interpretation. Look for the terms that you can understand or the ones that had any impact on your life experiences. Avoid defining anything that you can’t understand because you will only confuse readers with poor explanations. Define terms by explaining their nature, structure, and functions or by specifying something that they don’t mean. You can also compare the chosen term with others in the same class of works to determine differences. Follow a pre-determined structure in your opposite of assign paper because it’s logical to do the following:
- Present your term in an opening paragraph;
- Give your detailed explanations in body sections;
- End with a brief conclusion.
Dos and don’ts
When writing your definition essay, there are some things that should be avoided and done to end up with a perfect draft. You need to:
- Narrow your term if it has any broad meaning to make essay writing easier for you;
- Search for great transitions to connect all parts together;
- Proofread your paper attentively to fix all mistakes;
- Come up with the definition that is uniquely yours;
- Be creative when giving your original explanations because this essay writing approach is encouraged by most professors.
Things that can break your definition paper
To submit a good paper and earn high grades, you should avoid these simple things that can break a final draft:
- Using standard definitions because you need to make them look more scientific;
- Writing an essay on a well-known term or a very narrow topic;
- Writing in any overly-detailed fashions, but this doesn’t mean that you should be very brief (think about your word limit when getting started);
- Repeating a defined term within its definition because readers won’t appreciate this essay writing technique.
Common errors when writing definition papers
Students make minor mistakes that compromise their grades after submitting definition essays. Be sure to avoid them to improve your academic results in no time. The most popular mistakes include the following:
- Defining the term too broad for the scope of your essay;
- Writing about any terms that are obvious if they don’t have any conflicting interpretations;
- Forgetting to emphasize the term you want to define because it makes it difficult for readers to understand what your paper is all about;
- Copying existing definitions because you need to interpret the meaning of your term without being afraid to use personal thoughts to create your unique definition;
- Ignoring the importance of concrete examples because it’s hard for other people to understand when and how a particular term is used without them, no matter how clear and detailed your definition is.
Where to find useful definitions
Everything starts with defining the chosen word, so look it up in available dictionaries. Familiarize yourself with its official definition and use encyclopedias and other sources. Pay attention to its structure because it always starts with a term. Next, it notes its class or where it belongs among other concepts and objects. A definition may also note existing synonyms or the words that mean the same or similar things to your chosen word.
Researching the origins of your term
You need to research the origins of the chosen word to determine where it came from, so check print and online encyclopedias. Choose the ones that focus on specific concepts and ideas. Read relevant theories and ideas if they’re connected with the chosen term. Browse the Internet for relevant sites, articles, blog posts, and other sources that discuss or address your term in detail. Watch any educational videos that can help you learn more about it.
Interviewing other people
Interview other people, such as your friends, family, and other students, about the chosen word to get their personal perspectives. Ask them what they think about it and what comes to their minds when they hear this term. To end up with a strong opposite of assign essay, you should ask the following interview questions:
- How do they feel about your term on a personal level?
- What comes to their minds when they consider it?
- What does it mean to them?
- How do they deal or interact with the word?
Record all interviews or take notes to use them as great sources in your academic paper.
Creating your unique definition
Use your deep research and personal experiences to create your own definition of the chosen term. For example, you can focus on how it works in the world or a specific community. Feel free to compare your word with other similar terms. Format it by stating the term and giving your definition in one sentence.
How to write a good essay draft
Your definition paper should consist of 5 sections, including body paragraphs, its beginning, and end. Talk to your teachers to find out whether they have any unique requirements. Ensure that a thesis appears in an opening section of your essay and you restate it in the end.
Include a term, its definition, and your thesis
Introduce the chosen tern and give its standard definition. Your essay should start with telling readers the word that you want to define. Use encyclopedias and dictionaries as helpful references to provide them with its standard definition.
Include a thesis with your unique definition in the first section of your paper and use the active voice. A thesis must be one sentence long and describe your own version of the meaning of the chosen term. Consider personal experiences and strong facts to create your definition.
Discuss its origins and analyze its dictionary definition
In the second section of your definition essay, discuss the origins and history of the term. Focus on its roots and how it came into its modern use. Use notes, research, and other materials as strong evidence.
In the third section, you should make a deep analysis of the dictionary definition of your word. To achieve this goal, pull it apart and take a look at each part. Rephrase and interpret its standard definition to explore any deeper meanings.
Make a comparison and discuss a personal definition
Compare the chosen term with other words that have a similar meaning. Determine its differences and similarities to use this helpful information in your essay. Besides, you can discuss the words with opposite meanings.
In the fourth section of your essay, include a personal perspective on a given term and create its unique definition. Describe it based on any personal or life experiences, including relevant childhood memories. It’s advisable to include personal experiences based on the interviews of other people.
Support and restate major points
Include quotes from reliable sources in your opposite of assign essay to support any claim that you make. Back up your points with strong evidence and relevant references. Use quotes from journals, articles, and other sources. Choose suitable quotes from the interviews conducted to get a personal definition of your term. Follow the rules of a required citation format when taking this step.
Conclude your definition paper by briefly restating major points and a dictionary definition of the chosen term. Restate a thesis to remind readers of your unique definition and ensure that a concluding section doesn’t discuss any new points or thoughts. Take a look at the first sentence of every section to gather major ideas. Write the last sentence that describes a key phrase or has a strong image.
How to polish your definition paper
Once the first draft is ready, you should read it aloud to know how it sounds. Ensure that every sentence flows smoothly and all sections are well-structured. Underline any unusual phrases or awkward lines to revise and edit them. Look for any grammar, spelling, and other errors because they have a very negative impact on your essay content.
Get feedbacks from other people
Show your definition essay to other people, such as your friends, relatives, and other students. Ask them for valuable feedbacks and comments to improve its content. Find out whether your unique definition of the term is easy and clear to follow.
Ask specific questions to determine if all major points are developed and supported well. You should be open to any constructive criticism from other people to make your academic paper better.
Effective methods to revise your essay
After getting valuable feedbacks from other people, take enough time to revise your definition paper for its flow and clarity. Get rid of any sentences that seem unclear and redundant. Ensure that all of your sources and references are cited correctly. If you have any particular page or word count for this academic assignment, you need to meet it. Your essay should have a cover page at the very beginning and a special reference page in the end.
Use all the suggestions that you get from other people and go through a final draft attentively to rewrite it successfully. Reading it out aloud to yourself is an effective way to catch all minor mistakes, especially missed words. Besides, you’ll notice the sentences that are hard to read or don’t sound right. If you stumble over any sentence, this means that it should be reworded to be read smoothly. When revising your definition paper, you should watch out for the following:
- Using different sentence types and lengths;
- Failing to start sentences in a paragraph with the same word;
- Adding transition words when starting sentences.
Questions when editing essays
When editing a final draft, asking a few questions can help you submit a perfect essay, including:
- How well are definitions presented?
- Is a relationship between them clear?
- Are other meanings presented logically?
- Is your thesis clear?
- Are there any good transitions?
- Are all topic sentences in the right order?
- Does your essay include dictionary definitions and interviews properly?
Writing a good definition paper can turn into a challenge, especially if you don’t use reliable sources and effective techniques. However, if you follow all the above-mentioned guidelines, you’ll end up with a strong essay that any student can be proud of.
Also We Can Offer!
- Argumentative essay
- Best college essays
- Buy custom essays online
- Buy essay online
- Cheap essay
- Cheap essay writing service
- Cheap writing service
- College essay
- College essay introduction
- College essay writing service
- Compare and contrast essay
- Custom essay
- Custom essay writing service
- Custom essays writing services
- Death penalty essay
- Do my essay
- Essay about love
- Essay about yourself
- Essay help
- Essay writing help
- Essay writing service reviews
- Essays online
- Fast food essay
- George orwell essays
- Human rights essay
- Narrative essay
- Pay to write essay
- Personal essay for college
- Personal narrative essay
- Persuasive writing
- Write my essay
- Write my essay for me cheap
- Writing a scholarship essay