A business process (process) is the cumulative sequence of actions for converting the resources received at the input into the final product having value for the consumer at the output.
Due to this definition, it becomes clear that processes exist within each organization, regardless of whether they are formalized or not.
The organization can adopt a functional approach to management, which treats the company as a set of units, each of which performs certain functions.
In this case, individual units are focused on the performance of their own indicators, but not always on the final result of the company, which can cause a conflict of interests between units and adversely affect the overall performance of the business.
One of the most important goals of the formation of graphic schemes of processes is their subsequent use in the regulatory documents of the organization. As a rule, employees who are not trained in complex notations, do not have the skills of system analysis, etc. work according to these schemes. For them, the simplicity and clarity of the schemes is very important. Complex, intricate schemes containing many different symbols are not easily perceived by people, which makes their practical use difficult. Therefore, for practical purposes, it is important to correctly select and use the notation (methodology) of the process description. What are the criteria for choosing such a notation? How to compare different notations among themselves? Let’s consider some process essay examples of the description of the business process using popular notations.
Describing the process
Description of the process is a description of the sequence of actions when performing certain actions in a graphic and text form with the purpose of regulating actions in the team, analyzing and optimizing their sequence.
And here it is necessary to understand that the process in business without description does not exist. Only in the process of description does the business process appear, i.e. it is impossible to realize one without the other.
In this case, all the actions that are described in the process must be logical, their sequence should lead to a certain goal set earlier.
Description of processes in the essay is a creative work. Even if you describe what it is, still some inaccuracies are allowed, angles are smoothed out, some actions are missed for the sake of simplicity of perception. And if you describe something that should be, then something new is being created on the basis of the existing one. At the same time, the business analyst is still limited by strict limits – rules, syntax, and logical limitations.
It should be understood that no process can be perfect and 100% match reality. There is always a place for some simplifications and assumptions. Somewhere in the implementation of even the strictest regulations, the human factor makes its adjustments. In addition, as is known, in any new entity there is always a possibility of further improvement. And the creation of processes also confirms this philosophical thesis. No matter how hard you try to describe the process perfectly, there is still something in it that can also be improved either now or in the future.
It is very important, on the one hand, to stop right in time, because the updated processes will be implemented by real people who are used to working in the old fashion, and their inertness of thinking and degree of learning must be taken into account. Also, automation, which is usually included in the modernization of business processes, requires certain investments. Here you must proceed from the real capabilities of the customer.
All this should be clearly understood. You need to know where and at what level of assumptions you simplified the description of the business process, and where you decided to postpone some of the decisions for the future due to objective reasons (finance, human factor). And all this needs to be explained simply and understandably to the head of business.
Process and business process
The main difference between a business process and a technological one is that in the technological process, one definite result is assumed at the output. For example, if it is a question of production, then output should yield products with certain parameters.
Of course, even in the technological process, there is a probability of getting a mistake, but not one of the legitimate options, but the consequences of a violation of the technological process. While in the business process the result on the way out may differ depending on the fulfillment of certain conditions in the body of the process that was carried out without violations and failures.
- Take the workpiece A
- Connect it with workpiece B
- Process for parameters C
- Get the process
Everything is unambiguous, and no conditional things are foreseen.
- Get the input data A: if the data corresponds to condition B, proceed to the sequence of actions C, if the data corresponds to condition D, we perform the actions of E.
- The result is sent to the output, i.e. already in the algorithm of the process, possible conditions and different actions, depending on the source or intermediate data, are provided.
How to describe a processes
In order to get a description of real processes, it’s enough just to carefully study the sequence of actions of each person involved in this process, i.e., it is necessary to obtain information about the incoming data for starting a certain process and outgoing data – the result of actions and also fix the actions that were required step by step.
Once all the information is collected, it needs to be transferred into a graphical notation. Here it is worthwhile to understand that graphical notations are considered a good tone when drawing up descriptions of processes. For yourself, you can make a notation as you like, text options for descriptions also exist and are used, for example, by some software developers. But if you compose a notation that other people will read, it does not matter, the program developer or the company manager, choose the graphics.
The reason for this decision is simple – in a graphical form, information is better perceived. If you offer a sheet with only text to a person, it will take a lot of time and effort to figure out what you’re talking about. To cover the whole task in this case is almost not realistic. Graphic schemes are another matter. You can study processes at different levels of detail here, and anyone can quickly see what you want to say in general.
- Gather the participants in the process.
- Collect incoming information, which is necessary and sufficient to start the process.
- Collect the used systems – all that is really used in the work, it has to be necessary fixed.
- Determine the expected result – what will happen at the end of the process.
- Collect the sequence of actions that a person performs.
- Single out the conditions. Depending on the different incoming data and intermediate results, the actions may be different.
- Describe all the collected information in a graphical form in a convenient notation
Rules for describing the process
- Completeness. The process must clearly answer the question set for it. If you talk about the process of selling a particular product or service, the process should fully describe the actions necessary to achieve these results and ending it with this result.
- Conciseness. The business process must combine sufficiency, that is, describe all the necessary steps and actions, while being as concise as possible for simplicity of perception.
- Use of generally accepted notations. Do not invent your own designations and rules. Use the notations that are used throughout the world. There are already established, known to people and, importantly, intuitively understandable notations. They became popular because they were constantly tested for simplicity, unambiguity, and convenience in the process of their creation and revision. If you use ready-made notations, you will be understood, perceived as an expert, and the rules of notations themselves will save you from logical errors.
- All participants in the process must be accounted for and explicitly indicated. And it is necessary to do this without using footnotes with numbering, special footnotes, etc. This is often a sin of those who like to create their own designs instead of using ready-made notations. Somewhere the names do not fit, somewhere it seems to them that the long name in the body of the business process will be inconvenient. As a result, either we have to look for footnotes about who exactly we are talking about, or the creators of such business processes simply forget to indicate someone from the participants.
- User-friendly description. The most important thing is your reader, the one who will read this notation should quickly and ideally without even your explanations understand the description of the process.
Everything else depends on you and the reader describing the process. If you really like the use of different colors (for arrows or objects), this is quite acceptable. You can also create notations not only in the tools, but in any program that is convenient for you. If the notation corresponds to the rules listed above and is clear to your reader, you created exactly what you needed. And this is really a description of the process, professional and optimal for the job.
Also We Can Offer!
- Argumentative essay
- Best college essays
- Buy custom essays online
- Buy essay online
- Cheap essay
- Cheap essay writing service
- Cheap writing service
- College essay
- College essay introduction
- College essay writing service
- Compare and contrast essay
- Custom essay
- Custom essay writing service
- Custom essays writing services
- Death penalty essay
- Do my essay
- Essay about love
- Essay about yourself
- Essay help
- Essay writing help
- Essay writing service reviews
- Essays online
- Fast food essay
- George orwell essays
- Human rights essay
- Narrative essay
- Pay to write essay
- Personal essay for college
- Personal narrative essay
- Persuasive writing
- Write my essay
- Write my essay for me cheap
- Writing a scholarship essay