So, you decided to write a book and you’re full of enthusiasm, but you do not yet know how to approach the process, these tips for writing a book.
Firstly, it’s not advisable to start writing of a novel if you have not written at least five or six stories. After all, it seems very simple only at first glance – sit down at the computer and start typing a chapter after chapter. In practice, creativity is a hard and tedious work that requires, in addition to perseverance, specific training, knowledge of many subtleties and patterns. Therefore, if you sit down to write the novel, having no experience of working with at least stories, you are likely to suffer a failure, and the matter will not be brought to an end. Therefore, before writing the novel, it’s recommended trying your hand at writing stories.
Establishing a goal
- Reporting your own idea, image or story to the reader
- The creation of a bestseller
- Earning money
- Achievement of fame
It is unlikely that you will make yourself a name and become famous quickly. Most of the authors of books became famous after they passed away. But in life they were criticized (not always constructive), envy, and flattery. You need to be prepared for the fact that for some time all that is written will be stored in the buzz of a desk. You can send the manuscript to all publishers and wait for fame, money, and fame – it is possible that your book will be noticed. But more often the situation is different – the author publishes his work for his money. It’s not profit, it’s waste. The author writes for the reader and also for himself. Writing a book should be fun. It is necessary to strive for the book to be published, but this should not become an obsession.
- Craving for creativity
- Desire to compose a text
- Ability to write (the presence of talent is welcomed)
- Free time because you will have to work regularly, otherwise the ardor will cool down, more important things will appear, you’ll have doubts, and just laziness will overcome
- Inspiration, although without this it is possible to write too
It is important to immediately decide on the genre of the future book – adventure, romance, detective story, fantasy, memoirs, etc. How to understand what you like more? Look at the books you read. The answer will be obvious.
If this is your first book, then it is better to write about something you’re familiar with. No knowledge of a particular topic? It does not matter because you can prepare. If in the book the characters wander in the Sahara and get accidentally into an oasis, then ideally you need to learn as much as possible about the Sahara and whether there are oases in it, so as not to create a blunder.
The author is obliged to acquaint the reader with the real place of events, to be an omniscient guide, even if his knowledge is bookish or the source is the internet. The general phrase like “They wandered with the caravan through the desert and fortunately found themselves in an oasis” is boring. The reader will not have the effect of presence. The reader is waiting for something unusual, so you need to surprise him.
No time? No suitable place? No inspiration? There is always an excuse. You just need to sit in front of a sheet of paper or a laptop screen and start writing. Any table can turn into a working desk.
The beginning is a conditional title for the work on the book. There are authors who first depict the climax, the middle battles, or even the end. You can do that as well, it will even be more interesting to work. In any case, first you need to write what you can and then beautifully design it all, adding what is missing, so that there was an introduction, the main part, and the final chord.
What to write about? Anne Lamott in her book “Bird by Bird”, states that if you do not know what to write about, you need to start from childhood – a huge layer of material. Did you have bad childhood? Tell about it, even if you get a sad story. A colorful childhood will help write a bright book.
In order for the work on the book to be joyful, you need to define your working creative hours. This is the period of the day when the brain is most prone to mental activity. There is also a spontaneous craving for writing. It should not be ignored, but, on the contrary, one should grab for everything on which one can write and list all the ideas. To always be ready for an unexpected visit of the muse, accustom yourself to keep a notebook nearby. Good ideas come as fast as they go and that is why it’s important to have them written down, so you will not lose them.
Drawing up a plan and outlining the plot
You can write everything that comes to mind and maybe you will find the best ideas. But most often you need a plan. Especially if you are writing a work of art, the plan will help you not get confused in the plot of nodules.
- The outline of thoughts
- Successive events;
- Disassembled puzzles, which can then be collected in any order
- Cards with key episodes
- Introduction – a description of the wedding, a wedded couple, guests, and mansion.
- Entanglement – the groom finds the corpse of a woman by accident who was not among the invited.
- The development of events – interrogations, the story of all invited to the wedding. Version number 1 – the bridegroom is guilty, because he was familiar with the victim, there is a motive. Version number 2 – someone from outside is guilty, whom the camera captured during the festival. And so on, there can be many versions, let the reader think and build his own, it’s useful.
- Denouement – a detective models the situation, during which the guilty admits the guilt. Everyone is surprised, specially the reader. After that, you can describe a story, as everything really happened, so that the puzzles gathered.
The mistake of any author is copying the main character from somewhere else. But you need a unique hero or an unusual relationship. And this applies not only to fiction. Even a realistic hero needs to have individual traits so that the reader wants to be in the character’s place and go through the book path, plunging into events.
In order for the plot to develop, action is necessary.
Don’t describe the characters in a standard way like “Elisabeth is a very beautiful thirty-year-old woman with brown hair green eyes”.
The hero is best served from the position of another character, for example, watching the guy: “Here she sits at a table and drinks tea. If I was a jury at the beauty contest, I would give her prize. How old is she? Not more than thirty”.
There should be more than one protagonist – at least three or four persons: he, she, her friend and his mother and grandmother. The hero will need to enter into conflict not only with himself and with the heroine, but also with relatives and friends.
Do not create the perfect hero. Think of 2–3 minor flaws, but do not overdo it. The hero must have charisma, a twist, charm, and be a bit mysterious. It is not bad to insert the opinion of several actors about him.
The error of any author is basing the main character on oneself.
Stephen King and David Selinger before the publication of their books first worked on long sketches, then there were drafts, and only after many editions of ready texts appeared.
The great writer Ernest Hemingway advised authors to write drunk, and to edit on a sober head. First, under the influence of inspiration, you need to put all thoughts on paper, even if it’s not entirely literate and very messy. And then after some time, you can start editing the text. If you correct what is written in small portions, you can lose the flow of thought.
The formula for a good text looks like this: no errors plus presence of style plus simplicity of presentation.
- Pleasant music
- Sounds of nature
- Background noise
- Communication with people
- Walks in the fresh air
- A glass of good wine
- Work around the house or in the garden
An interesting book is not only hard work with diligence and regular training in the writing. Nobody canceled the opportunities and talent. But to find out if you have them, write something first.
- The text should interest the reader with the first phrase or the first page. Certainly not in the middle should begin intrigue.
- The author needs to think over each sentence in order to keep the reader’s attention. Today there are a lot of books – you cannot let the reader go. How to check if each sentence has value? Read to someone what you wrote – the person opened the mouth and listens attentively or yawns at everything you read.
- You can think of something radically new, but basically everything is thought up and written already. And this is not a problem. Just need to shift the angle of view. Shakespeare copied the plot of Romeo and Juliet from a well-known legend at the time. But few people remember the legend, and the play of the great playwright is known to everyone.
- The introduction should be catchy, the main text should be intriguing, and the ending is spectacular.
- The dynamics of the text, if it is artistic, is guaranteed by meaningful dialogues. Dilute the text with the narration and descriptions with live dialogues. Humor decorates any text.
- To write in an interesting way, it is interesting to live interestingly. The best books are the experience that the author himself experienced and knows everything about the subject of the description. Only a fisherman can truly write about fishing. Martin Eden by J. London is in fact his biography, Three Comrades by E.M. Remarque is also the experience of the writer. Do not forget that you can fantasize, but within the reasonable and genre, naturally.
Also We Can Offer!
- Argumentative essay
- Best college essays
- Buy custom essays online
- Buy essay online
- Cheap essay
- Cheap essay writing service
- Cheap writing service
- College essay
- College essay introduction
- College essay writing service
- Compare and contrast essay
- Custom essay
- Custom essay writing service
- Custom essays writing services
- Death penalty essay
- Do my essay
- Essay about love
- Essay about yourself
- Essay help
- Essay writing help
- Essay writing service reviews
- Essays online
- Fast food essay
- George orwell essays
- Human rights essay
- Narrative essay
- Pay to write essay
- Personal essay for college
- Personal narrative essay
- Persuasive writing
- Write my essay
- Write my essay for me cheap
- Writing a scholarship essay