Sports in the US can be divided into two groups: amateur and professional. Professional athletes earn good money, often appear on television. Amateur sports are fond by young and less talented people. Professionals are few, most athletes are amateurs.
In the US, children begin to play sports at the age of 5. At this time, parents-volunteers form leagues in different kinds of sports, within which competitions are held. For the most part, this is unpaid activity. At the age of 15, most American children do sports. During the summer holidays, training and competitions are held – those wishing to participate are paid organizational fees on average from 200 to 2,000 US dollars. Most of the time students come to competitions for school.
The next stage of the competition is district, then there are competitions at the state level. This is the highest level of sports competitions for schoolchildren. Trainers in competitions are usually physical education teachers. However, along with teaching physical education, they can also conduct teach subjects, such as mathematics, physics, history, etc. The most popular sport in the US is American football. Almost every American city is going to matches on Friday night.
Of schools, as a rule, players are recruited to universities for games for university teams. The National College Athletic Association (NCAA) regulates sports life between US universities – sets rules, schedules competitions, etc. The NCAA classifies universities in three divisions:
- Divisions of the first category have the best resources, and, consequently, the best stadiums, sports infrastructure, and can attract the best athletes.
- The universities of the second division have less financial capacity.
- The universities of the third division are usually small and do not pay much attention to sport.
Those young people who dream of becoming professional athletes, will go to the universities of the first division, where they will try their best. Universities of the first division also attract foreign talented athletes, for example, basketball players are looked for in the Czech Republic, Britain, France, Puerto Rico, etc. Also, many sportsmen-foreigners play hockey, tennis, and softball. Baseball does not bring much money, so this kind of sport is allocated few scholarships. After graduation from the university, 80% of athletes, as a rule, stop their sports career. Those who like, however, can play golf, tennis, or softball.
Due to the fact that each of the athletes received a degree in a particular discipline, for example, in economics or physics, they can easily build a career. Often, former athletes are invited to work on stock exchanges – they need people who withstand strong psychological stress. This is just the skill that young graduates have. Many of the former athletes continue their education in postgraduate programs, for example, in the field of sports management, which allows them to lead a sports department in a university or school. They can also work for the NCAA or form their own team. They can also become trainers. This option is suitable for those who want to stay in the sport.
Entry for should college athletes be paid essay
Due to National Collegiate Athletic Association, no college athlete can receive any endorsement or compensation when taking part in college athletics. These rules have always caused disputes; however, no changes were made by the NCAA. Annually, universities grossing close to $200 million, turning college athletics into one of the top industries in the world. The NCAA is a governing body of college athletics. However, if people don’t question and demand changes to the monopoly, nothing will happen, and the situation will remain unfair to college athletes.
Over the past few decades, college sports have gained huge popularity among Americans. This has led to the increased revenues for the NCAA and the participating colleges. As a result, a debate whether college athletes should be paid beyond their athletic scholarships was risen. Below, we will discuss whether college athletes should be paid stating the reasons for and against.
Why college students should be paid?
When writing your should college athletes be paid essay, you can state that one of the reasons they should get compensation is sportsmen from the basic unit of intercollegiate sports. Even though the NCAA tournaments are successful, students do not get any monetary compensation for their efforts. One of the main reasons given by the NCAA for the lack of payment is the fact that it wants to keep its amateur status and that the payment would affect the integrity of intercollegiate athletics. The NCAA increased its profits through the following:
- Licenses for video games
- Television rights
- The sale of merchandise
The main and active role in the promotion of these activities is given to athletes however they don’t get any benefits from the profits that are collected. This is considered unethical and viewed as exploitation.
Other students who receive scholarships get paid when they provide their services to their schools and that is why the same should be applied for athletes. They offer more to the colleges than others because sports have become the basis of some universities. Universities like Indiana and Alabama are appreciated more due to their mastery in basketball and football instead of their academic excellence.
There is also a debate stating that college athletes should not get paid because they are getting a scholarship. On average, a full division one scholarship is $25,000 a year. Over four years, it amounts to $100,000. However most athletes don’t last at school for the whole four years. When you get involved in sports there are injuries, politics, and a call to the office where they tell you that they don’t need you anymore. Many players get a scholarship for at least a year or two and then they get transferred to a different college.
Even though a scholarship of $25,000 may seem like a lot of money it really covers only the basics:
- Unknown university fees
- Multiple text books $100 worth
Players who come from low-income families receive a few hundred dollars every semester from Pell Grants.
Being an athlete is a full-time job. On a regular day, players wake up before classes start, get a condition in session in, study until 3 or 4 PM, practice, visit the mandatory study hall, then finish homework or prepare for a test.
Some players have an extra job. However, once the season starts they can’t work that job anymore. They are on the road all the time. Sometimes they may be gone for two weeks in a row. Teachers usually let them do the homework while being away however the job doesn’t pay the money just because they were playing basketball. The team gives meal money to students, which they can use to get condiments and chips. Anything else is considered a violation by the NCAA.
Reasons why college athletes should not to get beat paid
Some of the reasons why college athletes should not get paid include:
- Paying athletes would ruin the initial role of colleges – which is to give education. The education and skills students get in college cannot be compared to the amount of money they would receive from participating in sports competitions.
- The contractual agreements students sign with the colleges. The universities consider their upkeep and give students opportunity to play the sport they like at a higher level while getting a degree. When signing scholarship papers, monetary compensation is not a part of the agreement and should not be an issue during the studies in college.
In accordance with the NCAA regulations, athletes lose their eligibility in the following cases:
- They are paid to play
- They receive a salary, award, or incentive payment
- They sign a contract with an agent
- They get gratuity educational allowances or expenses
- They play on a professional team
Amateur sports have meant positive values in contrast to professional sport which usually offers the opposite. Professional sport is considered degrading and bad, while the amateur sports is elevating and good.
College sports should be considered a profession and athletes deserve to be paid for what they do. College sports is a crucial part of America’s economy and culture. Today, student athletes are considered amateurs, and many believe that the NCAA exploits them.
Who else makes the money off student athletes?
Those who make the money off student athletes include:
- A lot of coaches get at least $100,000 a year to coach one of the main sports like basketball, baseball, or football at school. They get bonuses for participating in championships, getting to the playoffs, or breaking the school records.
- The NCAA also makes a lot of money. Recently it has signed a $10.8 billion TV agreement with CBS for 14 years. The NCAA is considered a nonprofit company.
- Athletic programs. Colleges bring in hundreds of thousand dollars to their athletic programs every year. They get the money through ticket sales, donations, advertising, media rights, and anything else that can have a price tag. The athletes are symbols for their program and school. When a school makes a scientific achievement, it will be in papers for several days. However, when the athletic team scores, this information stays in the newspaper for the entire year.
On the other side, not all sport teams are profitable. For instance, some less popular teams like tennis, swimming, or volleyball don’t bring the university a lot of money while bigger sports like football and basketball make up for the lost profits.
Went Roosevelt helped create the NCAA in 1906, he didn’t know what it would become. In the beginning it was a great place to watch how athletes play sports following the rules. But today, the NCAA is a company that has billions of dollars.
Deduction for an essay
The development of intercollegiate athletics has led to great revenues and great payment packages for trainers. College athletes deserve to be paid because they help generate the money from the sale of merchandise and the promotion of their activities.
Also We Can Offer!
- Argumentative essay
- Best college essays
- Buy custom essays online
- Buy essay online
- Cheap essay
- Cheap essay writing service
- Cheap writing service
- College essay
- College essay introduction
- College essay writing service
- Compare and contrast essay
- Custom essay
- Custom essay writing service
- Custom essays writing services
- Death penalty essay
- Do my essay
- Essay about love
- Essay about yourself
- Essay help
- Essay writing help
- Essay writing service reviews
- Essays online
- Fast food essay
- George orwell essays
- Human rights essay
- Narrative essay
- Pay to write essay
- Personal essay for college
- Personal narrative essay
- Persuasive writing
- Write my essay
- Write my essay for me cheap
- Writing a scholarship essay